segunda-feira, novembro 12, 2012

the politics of Penn Jillette

Penn Jillette on Obama, Gary Johnson, Hitchens, and peace:
Given the recent election and Jillette’s self-proclaimed libertarianism, I asked what he would like to see come from a second-term Obama administration. “Being a libertarian, I am very happy there will be a sense of social freedom," said Jillette. "I wish that Obama would embrace that more, and be more respectful to people who want to smoke marijuana. I wish he would be more respectful to the state, and state’s rights like Colorado, and the other states that voted for that and not go after marijuana, but Obama giggles about dope smoking and doing cocaine, but still seems thrilled to send people to prison for that.
Jillette went on to say that he would like to see the formation of a new political movement in the United States. “I wish we had a peace movement in this country. I wish there were somebody voicing publicly and aggressively that we should be killing many, many, many, fewer people. All that being said, America will come together much more now that the election is over. I wish we had a candidate that was a peace candidate because Obama and Romney were identical on war and foreign policy. I wish we had a candidate that was for more freedom because Obama and Romney were identical in all of that.”
“.. People still seem to think that they should vote themselves money. They seem to think there is stuff which they think is the government’s job, when it’s really the individual’s job. You have to be careful as a libertarian because you can sound very Republican. I don’t want people who are in poverty, in pain, or suffering, to suffer because it’s for their own good and they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I want to help them. I want us all to help them. I just don’t want to use guns to do it.”
One libertarian victory was the accumulation of more than one million votes by party presidential candidate Gary Johnson during the recent election cycle. When I pointed out Johnson’s returns to Jillette he offered, “One of those one million was mine, by the way.”

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário