I sometimes hear people say that governments are good at only one thing. I disagree. Governments are good at a variety of things, including the following:
1. Killing large numbers of people by aerial bombardments.
2. Killing large numbers of people by artillery bombardments.
3. Killing large numbers of people by small-arms fire.
4. Killing large numbers of people by cutting off their food supplies and causing them to starve.
5. Killing large numbers of people by destroying their homes, commercial distribution systems, sanitation facilities, and transport systems, along with other property.
6. Killing large numbers of people by embargoes and other trade restrictions that prevent essential medicines and other goods from reaching them.
7. Extorting enormous amounts of money from the people to whom it rightfully belongs.
8. Confiscating a variety of real estate and other forms of wealth from the people to whom those properties rightfully belong.
9. Imprisoning millions of persons, many of whom have violated no one's natural rights.
10. Widely dispensing lies, propaganda, and disinformation of various sorts.
11. Despoiling the physical environment on a grand scale.
12. Creating enormously dangerous weapons and other materials that present a continuous risk of catastrophe to the whole human race.
13. Employing huge numbers of bureaucrats, cops, soldiers, and other lackeys to carry out tasks of no genuine value -- indeed, for the most part of negative value.
14. Spying on hundreds of millions of people for no reason other than to facilitate the government's social control.
15. Harassing people and making many people's lives unpleasant for no good reason.
Moreover, the foregoing items are only a few of the many things that governments are good at doing, although a critic might insist that all these things are but particular forms of one single overarching thing: the destruction of life, liberty, wealth, and happiness.
sábado, novembro 14, 2015
Citação Liberal do Dia